Thursday, March 11, 2010

It happened at NINE...

I've been reviewing my pictures taken the last five years or so and have noticed a major change with Chandler.  The transition from "happy go lucky, take a picture of my smiling face" to "i don't really want to smile too much and how does my hair look?" really started happening this year.  When did this happen? Why did this happen?  He really is concerned about what he wears (skinny jeans are preferred but he only owns two pair, both of which was bought by the other mother) and his hair is growing, growing, growing. He complains about his teeth and remarks frequently of his need for braces.  In due time, we tell him. He is only nine, ok, almost ten, but still. I long for the days when he would just be happy most of the time and didn't mind my being a shutterbug---
It is so hard for me to get a genuine smile from him once I pull out the camera nowadays. He'd prefer to be hidden, just so you have to guess what he's really thinking---

I guess I'll just have to be sneakier.
I remember a time I didn't like my picture taken, it probably started around ten years old. It took me a long time, until my late twenties, to decide that I really did want to be myself in those forever images so I decided to smile more genuinely. I hope Chandler decides this too, but earlier than his twenties. A good reminder to me too, to smile more in pictures and just accept the extra wrinkles and life weight residue and be happy!

No comments: